Libramont-Chevigny (approximately 8250 inhabitants) is located in the heart of a region of hills and forests, ideal for hunting and cross-country skiing, in the Ardennes region.
The creation of the city corresponds to the establishment of a station in 1858. But it was not officially born until 1900, when it became an administrative centre. More recently, the merger with the former Ban de Chevigny gave it its current name. Until the French Revolution, Chevigny represented a vast tax domain under the dependence of Lotaire II in the 9th century, Countess Richilde de Hainaut in the 11th century and the Abbey of Saint-Hubert from 1071 onwards. However, the city has no clear record of this prestigious past. Libramont-Chevigny, located at the crossroads of important transport routes, is above all an administrative and commercial centre with modern infrastructure. It is also an important medical centre, a centre for training in technical professions and a magnet for the Ardennes region.
On the last weekend of July, Libramont-Chevigny hosts a major agricultural fair that drains more than 100,000 visitors.